High-fidelity Operator Training Simulator (OTS)
Stamicarbon develops high-fidelity Operator Training Simulator systems for a wide range of customers in different kinds of industries. Customers of Stami Digital solutions are licensors, engineering contractors, plant owners and training centers.
The history of Stami Digital
With more than 25 years of global experience in the field of production processes, process control and process simulation, Stami Digital is fully specialized in Operator Training Solutions.
Due to its worldwide experience, Stami Digital has gained a lot of knowledge of different cultures and circumstances over the past 25 years. This makes our specific knowledge even greater. By attending training courses, education, ICT, software development and projects we continue to develop this specific knowledge on a daily basis. This ensures continuity so that things like the OTS system with Stami Digital and model tools are developed in-house. Independence, flexibility and customer focus are important features for Stami Digital.
In the past years, we have facilitated companies like Shell, DSM, AKZO Nobel, Petrobras, Sabic and ExxonMobil.
Custom made OTS
Some of the Operator Training Simulators (OTS) are joint efforts between Stamicarbon and the clients. Licensing of these applications is subject to certain conditions and approval. These applications can be tailored to customers' requirements.
Stamicarbon builds and delivers OTS systems based on high-fidelity and robust dynamic ‘Protomation process models‘ developed according to our customers' requirements.
Stamicarbon’s Project Execution Plan (PEP) is ISO9001:2015 certified. Our project approach includes four phases: Definition, Planning, Execution and Evaluation.
During the project definition phase, we set up the functional specification of the system to be designed and built, in close cooperation with the customer. Functional and non-functional requirements are identified and documented in open discussions, extensively elaborating on use cases and exception handling.
In the planning phase we set out the route to achieve the project objectives by taking constraints in various resources into account. This results in a complete projectplan.
During the project execution phase, the system analyses and design will result in evolutionary and iterative system implementation. Prototypes play a central role in the communication with intended users of the system. This approach is particularly valuable for the design of man-machine interfaces.
We strongly believe in a joint development, in which the opinions of system users play a decisive role, being the basis for the acceptance and success of the system. Systems are instruments that render services to humans. In our view the user’s perception of the process and system’s internals is of utmost importance for the optimal use of the instrument so the man-machine interface must be designed with great care.
In the past 20 years Stamicarbon has developed a wide variety of generic OTS applications ready to be used for thorough training of operators and/or students. Contact us for more information.
Possibilities with a STAMI Digital OTS
A Stami Digital OTS enables you to:
- Educate operators well
- Provide insights into processes
- Practice every situation
- Structure training as you want
- Practice awareness management
- Have detailed reports available
- Facilitate your instructor and/or trainer
- Have full graphical information
- Run tests, tune controllers, and predict or investigate situations to know the plant behavior better
The Stami Digital OTS package
- A high-fidelity OTS
- Training on how to use the OTS
- Maintenance of the products and software
- Customer-specific applications
- Training scripts
- Specific custom process simulations
- On-site support
ADVANTAGES OF A STAMI DIGITAL OTS
Avoiding an emergency shutdown of one day can save more than half a million EUR, and the cost of not operating under the optimal conditions quickly goes above 10 million EUR per year. By improving those situations, a Stami Digital high-fidelity OTS will pay off quickly. Learn more about its advantages below.
- Less operational mistakes resulting in less downtime
- Fewer deviations from optimal conditions for more efficient performance
- Increased operating reliability
- Faster recovery after inevitable upsets
- Low Life Cycle Cost (LCC)
- Lower insurance costs
- Better financial results
- Compliance with specific laws
- Increased safety
- Technical accuracy, high fidelity
- Risky/strange situations can be trained
- Deeper timing and process knowledge
- Aimed intervention at disturbances for faster operator response under common and uncommon deviations
- Well-trained personnel
- Working more efficiently and more effectively
- Game-like training is a more attractive way of training
- More reliable and self-confident (new) operators
- Can be periodically trained to make them more familiar
- Learning from mistakes (learning by doing)
- Reduced training times
Engineers also benefit from the OTS by using it not only as a training tool but also as an engineering tool to run tests, tune controllers and predict or investigate situations to know the plant behavior better.